Help with Apper. Can't update system.

Lucélio Gomes de Freitas aa.lucelio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:39:32 UTC 2011

Lukas Middendorf,

Thank you for your attention.

Em 03-12-2011 09:00, Lukas Middendorf escreveu:
> On Saturday 03 December 2011 09:54:49 Mircea Sava wrote:
>> The behavior of not recognizing the internet connection established with
>> anything else but NetworkManager-gnome is present in KDE for KDE apps since
>> the inception of KDE4, maybe even sooner.
> I have not seen any KDE application complain about missing internet connection
> (including apper), although I do not have NetworkManager installed and running
> (Why would you want to use NetworkManager for a desktop PC with an "always on"
> wired LAN connection?).
Of course the persons behind this know the reasons. I think that it
could be like a warnning message when compiling a source, if you want
only one result, it is ok, ignore the rest.  But there is a reason for
the warnning.
>  So at least it seems to default to assuming that there
> is a network connection if no NetworkManger is running.
>
>> As for Apper, when it comes to updating the system I prefer the command line
>> interface of yum; it's much faster, reliable and has a very cool verbosed
>> output.
>> So, su -c 'yum update' is in my opinion the best way to go.
I agree, and I use this way since the begining (F??-x86_64).
My problem is NOT emergency, I decided to give Apper a try, it came by
default on my 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.

And as a developer, I think that our friends that are responsable for
Apper would like to have a feed back.  And I would like to have it
working very well. For me It is not necessary to close a not very used
alternative, let it there working 100%.

By now, I would like to fix this problem, but also not to lose the
opportunity to learn.  Do you know someone that could help me?
> If you want a gui, use yumex. Every time I tried a different gui for updates or
> installing packages, I came back to yumex.
Thanks, Yumex is also my friend, I know it since a long time.
>  It however also uses NetworkManager
> for internet connection check (and does default to "no connection" if no
> NetworkManager is running), but the check can be disabled in the preferences.
Excellent, this could be a good sugestion for our friend of Apper. I
would like to e-mail them.
But I don't know where.  Any help is well come.