rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:17:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 14:56 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011 21:42:55 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > If you have a valid key pair, why would you need a passphrase? The
> > session will use the key pair for authentication and encryption. Your
> > copy of the RSA info is already protected within your machine by being
> > readable only by you and processes you own, including the ones run from
> > your crontab.
>
> I'm getting somewhat confused by the sub-threads, but I'll try to keep things
> in place.
>
> To test this theory I tried to avoid calling keychain in any way.  I had
> already removed it from .bash_profile, and I commented out all reference to it
> in the script.  I then started Konsole, which asked for my keychain
> passphrase.  I cancelled that and it returned that it was "unable to add" my
> identity, I guess.  Anyway, I then started the script.  It behaved exactly as
> it had done before, stopping at the same place.  By the time I tried to run
> the commands Martin said I should run as root, things started to sieze up and
> I had to reboot.

As I said earlier I'm not familiar with keychain, but a more reliable
test would be to actually remove it (yum erase) and see what happens.
The fact that it's still around even when you're logged out makes it
hard to be sure it's not interfering in some way.

Of course all this may have nothing to do with your freeze problem.

poc