Why can't I activate my wireless card?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:02:23 UTC 2011

I took my netbook away for the weekend, and hoped to impress a young friend.
In the event I could not connect to the free wifi service.  System-config-
network has eth1 as a wireless connection, both Activate/Deactivate are greyed
out.  The Hardware tab shows only eth0 and the Wireless tab in SystemSettings
> Network Connections is greyed out.

Browsing to find full specs worries me - this is the only good informaiton I
can find:

Acer Nplify™, a high-throughput wireless solution, delivers superior
performance and reliable connections while enabling emerging voice, video and
data applications. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™, it supports Acer SignalUp™ wireless
technology and is compliant with 802.11a/b/g/n and 802.11b/g standards.

So maybe it's proprietary and non-standard.  Is there no hope at all of
getting this to work in Linux?