Why can't I activate my wireless card? - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:37:32 UTC 2011

On Thursday 10 February 2011 16:04:43 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 February 2011 15:26:33 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Thanks.  That's too old, but it got me on the right lines, giving me
> > > some clues of things to search for.  I started with "yum search
> > > broadcom", then installed b43* (some of which were already installed),
> > > broadcom-wl and kmod- wl.
> >
> > Uh, it's either the b43 stuff or the broadcom-wl stuff, they're 2
> > different drivers for Broadcom wireless hardware.
>
> A great deal more digging, reading and experimenting got me no further.
> Eventually I ended up on IRC at #bcm-users where I was told that I probably
> need the brcm80211 driver.  Basically, the advice was that I might have to
> install compat-wireless or build the kernel from staging to include it, but
> I see in an OpenSUSE forum topic that the driver is in the 2.6.37 kernel.
>
> Do you know if this is in the pipeline for F14?  If it's in Rawhide will it
> be installable in F14, or do I have to wait for F15 (or a late beta
> thereof)?

Information from so many sources, and all conflicting :-(  So, now I have a
working wireless connection.  For those with the same problem, here is the
solution:

http://fedoraunity.org/mobile/fc-wireless/broadcom-linux-sta-driver

I used the "Using the akmod Rather then (sic) the kmod" section.  Once I
realised that my kernel-devel package was the wrong one, everything went
beautifully smoothly for the install and activation.  However, I use WPA, and
I hit the problem of being repeatedly asked for the passphrase.

I knew I had only a weak signal, so I took the netbook to a place where it
would get a good signal, and lo and behold!  a working wireless!

Many thanks to gabriello who patiently talked me through, helping me interpret
system messages, in a long IRC session.