Google Chrome keeps popping up KDE Wallet dialogue

Julian Aloofi julian.fedoralists at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 18 22:45:20 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, den 18.02.2011, 16:52 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> When opening a new page, the latest Google Chrome (10.0.648.82 beta,
> F14) frequently pops up a KDE Wallet dialogue asking for a keyring
> password. This seems unrelated to whether the page itself wants a
> password.
>
> No previous version of Chrome did this, in fact I'm surprised Chrome has
> any interaction with KDE at all.
>
> Has anyone seen this? I'm asking here before reporting to BZ.
>
> poc

Chrom(e/ium) supports native backends for password storage under Linux
now, and these include KWallet and the GNOME keyring. I suppose this is
completely intentional. See this upstream ticket, looks like they
enabled it now: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=12351

I think there is a --password-store command line flag that determines
the backend used by the browser, you might want to look into that if you
don't like the idea of storing the passwords in KWallet.

Julian