/var/log/kdm.log

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 09:46:07 UTC 2011

Hello

2011-02-27 Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>   I have a bigish /var/log/kdm.log file (272M).
> Weird. Mine is only 794 KiB.

  While there is no timestamp for each line, contents say that first
lines were created around June of 2009...

  Chunks of information in kdm.log start with:
  "X.Org X Server 1.6.1.901..."
  And then go for ~100lines. Then it repeats on next reboot/relogin.

  Later on I see enormous amount of lines (millions):
  "no rrb"
  After some time there are no more such huge amounts of "no rrb".
  So apparently there was some problem which was later fixed. But log
file was never "cleaned" up automatically (by logrotate).

> At the top, it says:
> Note that your system uses syslog. All of kdm's internally generated messages
> (i.e., not from libraries and external programs/scripts it uses) go to the
> daemon.* syslog facility; check your syslog configuration to find out to which
> file(s) it is logged. PAM logs messages related to authentication to authpriv.*.
>
> So did you change your syslog setup?

  Sorry, but I do not understand this... What should I be looking for and where?
  I do not remember specifically changing syslog configuration, but I
could have forgotten something in two years...

  The problem I'm raising is the lack of logrotation (unless there is
some other procedure which should be cleaning up this kdm.log?).

  Thank you

--
Tomas Straupis