change desktop from GNOME to KDE

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Jan 14 08:06:00 UTC 2011

Hi,
Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I saw no FAQ or list archive when I
subscribed.

When I installed Fedora 14, I tried the KDE LIVE install, but it seemed
to be a minimal install, and trying to install all of the packages I had
on my Fedora 11 box wasn't going too well.

So I reinstalled with the full distribution and got GNOME desktop. I
tried it for a while, but I still prefer KDE. When I run:

yum install @kde-desktop

I get the error:

cups-libs-1:1.4.6-1.fc14.x86_64 is newer than cups-libs-1:1.4.4-11.fc14.i686

(approximately - it takes too long to run it just to get the exact
message). If I ask:

yum downgrade cups-libs-1:1.4.4-11.fc14.i686

it doesn't do anything, and if I ask:

yum remove cups-libs-1:1.4.6-1.fc14.x86_64

in an attempt to get KDE to install and then reinstall the newer
package, it wants to remove 247 packages, which doesn't sound like a
good idea.

Is there any alternative to going back to the KDE live install and
trying again to install all the missing packages?

Thanks

Jim