change desktop from GNOME to KDE

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 10:36:10 UTC 2011

On 2011/01/14 21:21 (GMT+1100) Jim Lemon composed:

> The install-by-parts seemed to go okay, except that the same error
> appeared in kdegraphics, so that must be where the dependency resolution
> problem resides. /etc/sysconfig/desktop reads:

> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

> yet when I logged out and logged in, I still got GNOME and there were no
> options available on the login screen. Any further suggestions before I
> try the reinstall?

	# yum remove gdm

and/or alteration of /etc/X11/prefdm

Before you do that, you did do 'service stop gdm; service start kdm' or
'telinit 3; telinit 5', right? Logging out doesn't stop a running display
manager. I don't think there's any way to start KDM while GDM is running
either. Also, the theming of KDM may be making it look like GDM. I always
modify kdmrc to use KDE's built-in default theme with clock and user list.

In order to avoid menu/desktop bloat, I've done minimal initial installs (of
F14 upgraded to Rawhide) followed by install-kde-in-parts several times in
the past week, all successful, eventually at least.
--
"How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver." Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/