KDE Spin or Full Distro ?

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Jan 19 09:53:17 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 01:35 AM, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
> Please forgive my ignorant, but I've always wondered about this. What's the
> primary difference between using Fedora KDE Spin v.s. the full distro ? I don't
> mean to try it on live media, I want to install on hard drive. In the past, I
> think I have just got the full DVD distro and pick KDE as desktop environment
> and not install Gnome (or maybe both, and then just use KDE as the default
> session). I also usually install a lot of non-KDE apps and Gnome apps.
>
> So, why do I want the KDE spin instead ? Is there primary advantage ? (These
> are genuine questions, not trying to be sarcastic :) ). Will I still get the
> bulk of non-KDE app on the spin version ?

Hi Armelius,
I just went through this (at least I hope I'm not still in it!). I tried
the KDE Live CD. Worked beautifully, except that I got into a seemingly
endless loop of installing things. Maybe there's a way one can install
"the rest of the distribution" automatically. Then I installed the full
DVD, but got Gnome as a desktop and no KDE. I have managed to get most
of KDE installed, but KDE graphics seems to have a problem resolving
dependencies (newer library already installed), and so I'm not quite
there. I would have been happy to have installed the full distribution
with KDE, but couldn't find it.

Jim