Need for a Linux onscreen keyboard

Kyle Pablo kylepablo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:30:24 UTC 2011

Hello,

     The options for an onscreen keyboard for Fedora and Linux are
limited.  The main onscreen keyboards are kvkbd, xvkbd and GOK.  Each
have their pros and cons.  Kvkbd has a nice GUI but no word completion
feature. Xvkbd has an archaic GUI and word completion feature.  GOK does
not seem to work on Fedora.  The main window starts (along with
warnings) but activating the keyboard does not.
     I recently tried out Windows 7 onscreen keyboard and it is very
functional.  What I am saying is why can't Linux have a fully functional
onscreen keyboard?  The accessability tools are limited and having an
onscreen keyboard that is similar to Windows 7's in features and design
would be beneficial.  I have difficulty typing (I have muscular
dystrophy)  so I use an onscreen keyboard.
     I have been a Linux user for 12+ years.  I would code an onscreen
keyboard myself but I am not a programmer.  I suck at it.  I want to
help get this project started.  Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle