rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:00:06 UTC 2011

On Sunday 30 January 2011 19:53:12 Richard wrote:
> that sounds like you have tried to rsync one of the very special files in
> your homedir, /proc /sys or similar. Perhaps you hit some of the sockets
> or named pipes and block something.

Could be something like that, since it seems to stop at the same point every
time.

> Find out the pid of the hanging rsync, do "ll /proc/$pid/fd" maybe it says
> you what  the culprit is.

Would you like to explain that please?  I don't understand it.  This is what
happened -

ll /proc/$22374/fd
ls: cannot access /proc/2374/fd: No such file or directory

I did notice that the pid is very high, and it's obviously not recognisable
for the command.  Something seems to be wrong.

> Or run rsync verbose to see the last files that were accessed.

I know where it stops every time, in that it's a not very big .jpg that's the
last file to be listed, but I suspect that, like bootup messages, I see the
last one to complete.  I still need to know what it's trying to do next.