rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:33:09 UTC 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 11:30:47 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> What I'm trying to say is that if you have the key pair set up, you
> don't need keychain. SSH will just read the id_rsa file directly as long
> as it runs as you, and you can set up cron to run the job as you (rather
> than root) by using your own crontab and not root's (i.e. set up
> cron.allow). Maybe I'm not understanding something here ...

Patrick, for reasons irrelevant to this list, my brain is not working well at
the moment.

I removed the keychain eval from bash_profile and restarted.  The request for
the password didn't come at login, which suggests that that's fine.  When I
opened Konsole I was asked for the keychain password - I remember that from
long ago when I had it working on other hardware.

I ran the shellscript again and it stalled at the same place.  I guess the
next step is to take the keychain part out of the script during tests, even
though the documentation says that I must have it when running under cron.

Progress is slow because I have to reboot every time it has hung, since I
can't find exactly what is stopping the other apps from working.  I can't get
by, comfortably, at least, without dolphin and kwrite.