rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Richard rz at linux-m68k.org
Mon Jan 31 14:21:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:28:04PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011 11:39:55 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > Ane, cann you run "lsof | grep pid-of-rsync" if it hangs (where
> > pid-of-rsync is the pid of a rsync process of course)? This command will
> > give you all files rsync tries to attach (at the time you run lsof). If
> > there are more rsync processes, try grep -E "(pid1|pid2|pid3)" instead
> > of the simple grep.
>
> I seem to be getting the syntax wrong:
>
> lsof | grep -E (3180|3181|3183)
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

not sure if you tried this or took my previous example literally..
$pid was meant to be replaced by the actual PID of rsync. Did realise
too late that my example was very confusing.

Try
  ps axf|grep rsync
take the PID from it and do
  ll /proc/pid-number/fd

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers