Incredible Shrinking Fonts

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jul 2 14:46:24 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Although my initial complaint was that Liberation fonts are more
> compressed, while DejaVu is more expanded, making it more legible,

That's a necessary consequence of matching the metrics of Arial resp. Times
New Roman.

The goal there was that you could replace the proprietary fonts with
Liberation fonts in word processor documents without breaking the layout of
the document. Incompatible metrics would defeat that purpose.

> Do you know which, DejaVu or Liberation, has the fullest UTF-8
> coverage?

Definitely DejaVu. Coverage is one of their main goals, if not THE main
goal. Liberation is newer (so had less time to achieve high coverage) and
focuses primarily on metric compatibility.

        Kevin Kofler