Only root can shutdown does not work

Lester M. Petrie Jr. petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Wed Jul 13 15:59:57 UTC 2011

Hi

I am using an uptodate Fedora 15, with kdm as the login manager.  This happens on 2
different machines, one with a nvidia card and one with a radeon card.  I have gone into
system settings editor -> login screen -> shutdown and set Allow shutdown :local: only
root.  When I log out, there is a menu button on the login tab with a shutdown button.
If I click the shutdown button, there are options to shutdown or reboot.  If I click on
one of those, a window pops up saying I need to put in the root password with a place to
enter it.  However, if I try to enter the root password, no keystrokes are registered.
The only way to reboot is to go to a tty terminal, login as root, and do a reboot.  Has
anyone else run into this and come up with a fix?

Thanks
--
Lester M Petrie
865-574-5259