Need to logout on Update

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:51:32 UTC 2011

On Thursday, July 21, 2011 04:54:19 PM Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 15:38 +0100, José Matos wrote:
> > On 07/21/2011 03:38 AM, Jim Dean wrote:
> > > A recent discussion on Fedora forums raised the need to logout and
> > > back after a KDE version update. I've noticed that the system becomes
> > > unstable, last time I got a plasma crash, and others reported similar
> > > things. Is this common or just a few people?
> > > It was suggested that a bug should be raised for it.
> >
> > What is so surprising about that? :-)
> >
> > You are changing the whole system behind the carpet and you expect it to
> > just work?
>
> Mostly yes, I do. This isn't Windows.

I'm thankful that it manages things well enough for me to always finish
whatever I was doing.  However, my thinking is that if I start anything new
that calls one of the new packages I am asking for a conflict with the old
packages that I'm still running.   It simply isn't worth the risk.  And after
all, a logout is nowhere near the same as a Windows reboot.