ktnef - don't read if allergic to MS

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 23:31:40 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 6:34:55 PM Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Timothy Murphy ha scritto:
> > 1) Is ktnef available as an RPM in any Fedora repository?
> > (It's an application to read the annoying winmail.dat attachments
> > which seem to be coming in more MS Outlook emails.)
> >

> ktnef should be included in the kdepim package (or kdepim3). A quick
> search for the name ktnef in rpm's for FC14/FC15 points to
> kdepimlib-devel package, but you'd better check. However kdepim or some
> of its siblings is where to look for.

The ktnef in kdepimlibs-devel is the library, not the stand-alone application.
In the KDEPIM3 days, we had a stand-alone application also called 'ktnef'
that sat on top of libktnef.   These days, we don't have a separate application
as KMail should support ktnef by itself using the TNEF plugin.  should be automatically
detected for application/ms-tnef attachments.