'Lost and Found' category in 'System Settings'?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 11 00:34:44 UTC 2011

Alexander Volovics wrote:
> I installed the 32 bit 'flash-plugin' rpm from the adobe repository
> in Fed15/KDE x86_64

↑
That's a 64-bit installation.

> I found the icon in 'System Settings' in a rather strange category
> "Lost and Found". Clicking on the icon produces an error message:
>    Could not find plugin 'Adobe Flash Player' for application
>    'systemsettings' Library "kcm_adobe_flash_player" not found
>
> 'rpm -ql flash=plugin' shows '/usr/lib/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so'
> installed!

↑
That's a 32-bit KCM (= KDE Configuration Module = System Settings module).
It will not load in 64-bit System Settings.

> What is happening here? An install gone wrong somewhere?

No, breakage in Adobe's packaging. They do not properly support 64-bit
installations. 32-bit KCMs cannot be used on a 64-bit system. The fact that
their KCM lands under "Lost and Found" is also a bug (another one) in
Adobe's setup. (They aren't categorizing their KCM properly.)

> NB
> I can start 'flash-player-properties' as a command in a terminal
> and it seems to work (I did have to install an additional i686
> library first that it complained was missing)

Yes, that's the most decent solution.

You may want to unhide the menu entry for flash-player-properties with
kmenuedit (right-click on the menu button to fire the menu editor up) and
delete or ignore the broken System Settings module (the file to delete is
the .desktop file somewhere under /usr/share/kde4/services, or less
brutally, add Hidden=true or NoDisplay=true to it).

Their attempt at supporting KDE is causing more harm than good. Complain to
Adobe about all those issues. We cannot do anything about them (except
telling you about the above workarounds).

        Kevin Kofler
        (who does not use Flash at all)