Sound works with Gnome, not with KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:42:55 UTC 2011

On Monday 13 Jun 2011 08:23:37 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > And then someone will come out to say that you have to move ~/.kde to a
> > backup location and relog in, when you know perfectly well that it has
> > absolutely nothing to do with your settings.
>
> That "delete or disable ALL your settings" "advice" is indeed not very
> helpful.

While not helpful in the context of this thread, where a problem is
intractable I recommend re-naming ~/.kde - which allows you to cherry-pick
settings until you are happy or have found the culprit.

> > That's happened to me many, many times. I solved it by documenting just
> > about everything I do and have created a veritable fedora encyclopaedia
> > of user setup tips from years of learning, reading these lists,
> > googling, and trial and error.
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/ is a good place to share such information.

It also helps when you can't remember what you did last time you met a
situation - and as you get older, that happens more and more.

For anyone that thinks writing on UserBase is yet another thing to learn, my
blog of yesterday, http://lydgate.org/blogs/?p=271 might give you
encouragement.  We're trying our hardest to make it as pain-free as possible,
so for minimum effort you can help a lot of readers.