Sound works with Gnome, not with KDE

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jun 13 13:38:58 UTC 2011

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> F15 x86_64, basic onboard Intel sound chip, nothing fancy.
>
> Some recent update to F15 seems to have banjaxed my sound output under
> KDE. The Systems Settings widget shows only Analog Output, no Pulseaudio,
> even with "Special Devices" selected. I restarted the PA server and now
> it does appear, but still no sound.

Probabaly some sort of recent change wrt kernel/alsa/drivers, and I'd
venture it's being tickled by kmix's "restore volume on login" feature
(which is largely redundant if using pulseaudio and it's default flat-volume
feature).

right click kmix in systray -> restore -> settings -> configure kmix
uncheck "Restore volumes on login".

-- Rex