Incredible Shrinking Fonts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:43:55 UTC 2011

Felix Miata wrote:

> That's probably because DPI was forced.

According to the manufacturer's handbook for my monitor, the native
resolution is 96x96, so I don't see why it should be forced. Back in
the days, a few years ago, when we had to have xorg.conf to get our
displays working properly, I always appended -dpi 96 to the X-Server
line in kdmrc.

> In F15 what may be bothering you is a change of system font family.

No. I am using Liberation.

> If your display's actual DPI is less than 96, it's best to leave it
> inaccurate (pinned to 96).

Also, force fonts dpi is not recommended, according to the KDE help
tip. I used to set it to 96dpi, but when I read that a year or so ago,
I stopped forcing the font dpi. I never noticed a difference, since my
hardware dpi is 96 anyway.