Shipping a dedicated backup solution on the KDE live CD?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 9 20:28:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

on IRC, we have been discussing lately whether we should add a dedicated
backup application to our live image (we probably should), and which one(s).

I have collected some thoughts on the following wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Backup_Solution

In short, we need to collect the common use cases and requirements (and also
check which of them, if any, are already covered by e.g. Dolphin or Ark),
and then evaluate how well the existing backup applications cover them.
(Writing an entirely new application is not really in the scope of this
discussion, it'd be a long-term task in any case. But this discussion MIGHT
also be the starting point for such a project.)

I have started by collecting some features I would like to see, but some of
those might not be really needed (at least for most users), and there may be
more important ones I have forgotten. (I'd like to know about any additional
features people would like to see.) My list is just the output of the
brainstorming I did, it is by no means intended to be final or binding.

See the wiki page for details.

If you have any feedback, you can:
* use the discussion (Talk) page attached to the wiki page,
* edit the wiki directly and/or
* come to discuss this on IRC in the #fedora-kde channel on Freenode.

We would appreciate any user feedback on this.

        Kevin Kofler