Shipping a dedicated backup solution on the KDE live CD?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 09:32:32 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 09:28:39 pm Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on IRC, we have been discussing lately whether we should add a dedicated
> backup application to our live image (we probably should), and which
> one(s).
>
> I have collected some thoughts on the following wiki page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Backup_Solution
>
> In short, we need to collect the common use cases and requirements (and
> also check which of them, if any, are already covered by e.g. Dolphin or
> Ark), and then evaluate how well the existing backup applications cover
> them. (Writing an entirely new application is not really in the scope of
> this discussion, it'd be a long-term task in any case. But this discussion
> MIGHT also be the starting point for such a project.)
>
> I have started by collecting some features I would like to see, but some of
> those might not be really needed (at least for most users), and there may
> be more important ones I have forgotten. (I'd like to know about any
> additional features people would like to see.) My list is just the output
> of the brainstorming I did, it is by no means intended to be final or
> binding.
>
> See the wiki page for details.
>
> If you have any feedback, you can:
> * use the discussion (Talk) page attached to the wiki page,
> * edit the wiki directly and/or
> * come to discuss this on IRC in the #fedora-kde channel on Freenode.
>
> We would appreciate any user feedback on this.

One installation time use case - to make a backup of your current system as
you're going to play with your partitions, formating etc. and you want to be
sure you don't touch for example other OSes... I prefer connecting USB disk and
making 1:1  copy (dd like but of course - clever one, only occupied space).
Something like http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page but there's no ext4 support :(

If I want to reinstall from scratch - then solution listed in Wiki is more
suitable.

R.