Fun and games with sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:24:22 UTC 2011

A few days ago I installed a Creative SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 box - a USB device
that allows you to use good speakers from your laptop.  At first I had no
success at all, but following the steps at
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds got
me started.  This is where the fun and games begins.

When I look at System Settings > Phonon, the number of devices that are listed
varies enormously.  I have seen about 10 on one occasion.  Today there are 3,
one of which is greyed out.  I have no idea what causes the devices to be seen
on some occasions but not on others.  FWIW, the 5.1 system tops the list, the
laptop's internal speakers are next, then the greyed out one is another
configuration of the 5.1 system.

Then there's sound output from applications.  On the occasion that all the
devices were listed I had good sound from front and rear, left and right, no
center and no bass.  Today, from a CD + VLC I have good sterio sound from rear
L and R - nothing from the other speakers.  Amarok simply outputs through the
center speaker.  Clementine plays through the laptop's speakers.

I'm rather at a loss with this so any ideas you might have would be very
welcome.