Fun and games with sound

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 18:41:06 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 12:24 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I don't think pulseaudio was properly installed, for some reason.  After
> trying a few commands that I found on blogs I got a message saying that no
> pulseaudio daemon was running, and I couldn't find any way to get it.
> Rebooting didn't do it, so I assume that something was missing stopping it
> from initialising at bootup.  I never say any phonon-anything backends offered
> - just xine, gstreamer and vlc.

well, sometimes  pulseaudio starts but crashes because consumes too much
cpu, but changing the daemon.conf is a workaroud for that

sorry xine, gstreamer and vlc are fine, I was referring to the rpm
packages names

> I've removed PA altogether, and at least have sound from a single speaker now.
> I could really use some help to re-install PA properly this time.  If I can
> get so far I can try your suggestions.

only reinstall the pulseaudio rpms and yum reinstall
/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-kde , I never added or removed of pulseaudio
related stuff from the Fedora 14cinstall via DVD

Gabriel