Fun and games with sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 13 08:06:28 UTC 2011

On Saturday 12 March 2011 23:11:36 José Matos wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2011 20:43:29 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I see that 'disk sleep' every time something fails
>
> This rings a bell with me (no pun intended ;-) ). I have seen problems like
> this in the previous days where I get some programs with the D state on
> htop even although the CPUs are free (mostly). Like today morning when I
> was installing some program using yum that was in a disk sleep state,
> really weird.
>
> Sometimes that also happens when kmix is taking lots of cpu. FWIW I am not
> sure these two are related.
>
> This are just symptoms as I have not yet found a cause. After some time
> those problems disapear and the system works as intented.

When I was seeing the problem during my rsync experiments I tried leaving
things alone for quite a long time, without them clearing.  Since we don't
have a clue at the moment as to the cause it's hard to do any serious
troubleshooting.

I assume it has something to do with kio-slaves (something I know nothing
about) because when that happens I can't run Dolphin or KWrite or a number of
other applications.  They all open with a blank grey screen.  Working without
a file manager is extremely slow ;-)