plasma-desktop has taken over my computer

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Mar 14 01:44:59 UTC 2011

On Sunday, March 13, 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2011 16:27:00 Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2011, Claude Jones wrote:
> > > The machine has beome barely responsive; things like the
> > > kickstart menu button, or right-click on the desktop, or
> > > clicking on the options button on the panel produce no
> > > effect - nothing. I don't remember doing anything in
> > > particular that could have caused this. If I run top, it
> > > says that plasma-desktop is using 100% of my CPU. If I
> > > long in as a different user, the problem's not there, so
> > > this specific to my regular user configuration. I notice
> > > that there are also three processes called 'migration'
> > > running - could those have anything to do with this
> > > problem? None of them seem to be using any measurable CPU
> > > resources...
> >
> > more on this - I logged in to the machine using Gnome, and
> > it's behaving normally - googling this issue produces lots
> > of hits, but little help - most point at misbehaving
> > applets, but can anyone suggest a means to troubleshoot
> > this?
>
> Do you by any chance have a very large IMAP account?  I know
> you've been around for years :-) so it wouldn't be surprising.
>  I don't know what happens if you interrupt migration, but I
> have definitely seen some people say that if you have a huge
> IMAP set-up you would be best running the migration overnight.

I wrote this several hours but sent it using the wrong account so
it never made it to the list...

Well, Anne, I don't have any IMAP accounts, but, whatever ailed me
has completely cleared itself up. One hour ago, I had a stone cold
machine in screen saver that would take minutes to wake up and
show the screen saver, and would not get past that to show me a
login dialog; finally, I Ctl-Alt-Backspaced out and logged back in
to Gnome - that worked fine, even when I opened KMail; after,
spending some time there and being quickly reminded of why I
prefer KDE, I logged out and logged back in to KDE (failsafe
mode); that worked perfectly, and I couldn't tell what was
different, but, CPU usage was under 5% for every running process,
and KMail worked fine - finally, I logged back out and then back
in to KDE, and now the machine is fine and all processes are still
running under 5% - so, I'm not sure what this was all about, but,
it seems to have been cured without intervention on my part...if
it was some 'migration' process, it took over 18 hours. But, the
CPU usage was plasma-desktop, not KDEPIM or anything related to
it...those migration processes that were shown to be running in
Top were all running at 0% CPU usage...

Was there a recent update that required something to be migrated?
I remember the one going from KDE3.5 to 4 (was that it?), that
took a long time about a year or so ago...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA