What is virtuoso-t doing and why?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:55:28 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 14:28:09 Julian Aloofi wrote:
> Am 21.03.2011 23:57, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> > I would be very thankful if someone explains what this is and how to make
> > it do its work only when the system is idle enough (say, when the
> > screensaver has been active for half an hour, or something like that),
> > and not in the middle of my regular work.
>
> I think it's the database used by Strigi, which is used by Nepomuk to
> index files and meta data for the desktop search. So if you'd disable
> Nepomuk/Semantic Desktop in the system settings, it should stop running.
> There should be an icon in the system tray as well I think.

Right, thanks! :-)

I disabled Nepomuk, with the hope that it will fix this issue. I am not exactly
sure what is Nepomuk even supposed to do, and what "semantic desktop search"
means at all, so I hope I won't need its services. ;-) It appears it is
configured to index only the ~/Desktop directory, which is empty (bar two
icons), so in this sense it is quite useless for me.

Best, :-)
Marko