What is virtuoso-t doing and why?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 22 21:01:00 UTC 2011

Julian Aloofi wrote:
> I think it's the database used by Strigi, which is used by Nepomuk to
> index files and meta data for the desktop search.

Actually, it's the database used by Nepomuk itself.

Strigi indexing is only the most resource-intensive Nepomuk task, and thus
the one which will be causing most of the Virtuoso database traffic.

> So if you'd disable Nepomuk/Semantic Desktop in the system settings, it
> should stop running.

Disabling Strigi file indexing should be sufficient to keep resource usage
down. Having Nepomuk enabled is useful because other stuff wants to use it,
e.g. Akonadi, which is used by kdepim. And without Strigi indexing, Nepomuk
and Virtuoso should be using little to no CPU resources.

        Kevin Kofler