Start KDE with different config directory

Lester M. Petrie Jr. petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Thu Mar 24 22:11:51 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 05:46:13 pm Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 24.03.2011 22:21, schrieb Armelius Cameron:
> > Hello,
> > Is it possible for KDE to use different config directory other than
> > ~/.kde ?
> >
> > Let's say I have different computers or test machines that not necessary
> > runs the same KDE version (e.g different Fedora releases), or just want
> > different KDE setup on those machines. I want all the machine to mount
> > the same home directory from NFS server so that I have access to all my
> > files, but I want the different machines to use different KDE config
> > directory: e.g. ~/.kde_machine1, ~/.kde_machine2, etc. If this is
> > possible, how do I do it ?
>
> why not using bind-mounts in /etc/fstab?
>
> * Leave the folder empty
> * put your .kde for every setup in a dedicated folder
> * /pys-folder /home/username/.kde    none    bind
>
> this way you are totally independent and no line
> code in any software must be changed - use the
> unix-capabilities you have :-)

I have the following in my .bash_profile

if [ -e /etc/fedora-release ]; then
  release=$(awk '{print $3}' /etc/fedora-release)
  FC=.kde_fc${release}
elif [ -e /etc/redhat-release ]; then
  release=$(awk '{print $7}' /etc/redhat-release)
  FC=.kde_rhel${release}
else
  FC=.kde
fi
export KDEDIR=$HOME/${FC}
export KDEHOME=$HOME/${FC}

This lets me have do pretty much what you are asking for.  The value for FC
doesn't seem to be very important, as long as its uniquely determined by
whatever criteria you wish to use.

--
Lester M Petrie
Oak Ridge National Lab