How to get Color icons to replace the new Monochrome ones...

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Sun Mar 27 01:47:22 UTC 2011

> Hello Everyone,
> I had this problem back on Fedora 13 and I found out how to fix it.  BUT, I did
> fresh install of Fedora 14, and I discovered that I never documented the way
> that I fixed it.
>
> If this is the wrong list for this, please let me know...
>
> I am running KDE SC 4.6.1 (from the kde-testing repo) and I really do not like
> the monochromatic icons that now seem to be the default in the System Tray.
My
> question is, Where do I get the color versions of the new monochromatic icons,
> and where exactly do I copy them to?
>
> Also, is there a location in my home directory that I could copy them to so
that
> they would not be wiped out every time the offending (my opinion) icons are
> updated?  I think that would be something like
> "~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/"

Okay, I'm partly there.

Following this advice:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3113579.10;wap2

I renamed the monochrome files, logged out and then logged back in.  I was
greeted with mostly color icons in my system tray!  This was cause for great
rejoicing.  But, my system apparently has no color equivelant for network.svgz,
as the spot where the icon would have been was blank.  The applet was still
there, just no icon.  So, for now, I just renamed network-OLD.svgz to
network.svgz, logge out and back in.  I will just have to deal with one of the
undesired icons.

I would still like a way to do this in my home directory, so that I do not need
to repeat this process everytime the contents of
"/usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/" is updated.

Steven P. Ulrick