User interaction problems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 2 15:04:11 UTC 2011

Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>  This is now a little bit surprising for me as it was a Fedora developer
>  who urged me into raising the requirements. In fact I was even asked to
>  raise it for the next minor release as a bugfix.

Uh, I never asked you to up the Mesa requirement to 7.10. The minimal change
to check for "Intel" instead of "GEM" in kwinglcheck (which is the patch I
applied in the Fedora 15 kdebase-workspace package) only raises the
requirement to something much lower. I don't know the exact version (we'd have
to check the history), but the Intel driver has been DRI2 for years! And Adam
Jackson (also a Fedora developer) suggested cleaner ways to check whether
direct rendering will work, which (as far as I know) will also work fine on 7.9
and probably several older releases. There's a middle ground between
supporting everything ancient and requiring the very latest.

And by the way, your new check (which assumes that Mesa == DRI2) is also
incorrect for Mesa 7.10 because DRI1 drivers still exist (e.g. i810/i830
legacy). E.g. Fedora 15 still ships them (and it has a Mesa 7.11 snapshot),
only Fedora 16 will drop them. Some distros might keep them for even longer.

That said, we will probably not upgrade Fedora 14 to 4.7 anyway. We have been
doing only one KDE SC upgrade per Fedora release (i.e. offering the latest KDE
SC only on the latest Fedora) since Fedora 12. We may (or may not) be doing
unofficial packages though, and we may end up having to patch your OpenGL
checking code to make them work. :-(

        Kevin Kofler