Why KPackageKit takes so much time to list the repositories!!

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri May 20 13:18:31 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 08:08 PM, Sonic wrote:

> I always use Yum and never tried any graphical tools to install
> packages. But I was instructing a new user on how to install some
> packages using KPackagekit the other day.
> Why does KPackagekit take so much time to do anything at all? When I
> start it, it tries to: 'Get package categories' which takes a looooong
> time (I guess that also depends on my internet connection).
>
> When I try to see the list of repositories ('Origin of packages' in
> 'settings'), it takes a looong time too. It seems that KPackagekit will
> only get the list after the other pending operation is over. How
> difficult can it be to get a list of repositories? Can't this be fixed?

It's not too bad on my box, but I have fast internet and a local mirror.

kpackagekit can be pre-optimized to load a local xml file for software
groups/categories (instead of the current behavior of querying all that
information from configured yum repositories), but I've never had the
time/patience to implement that. :(

-- Rex