KAddressBook problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Nov 14 12:58:30 UTC 2011

Anne Wilson wrote:

> On a fresh F14 + updates system, KAddressBook shows all my sub-
> folders under ~/.local/share/contacts/whatever. but none of the vcf
> cards in the parent folder, labelled Personal Contacts.  There's nothing
> obviously wrong with the folder or the entries, but I can't see them.
> Any ideas?

I don't have any ideas, but I find KAddressBook really weird,
as it has been for several distributions (maybe always?).
I really feel someone should be invited to help the developer.
It isn't just the lack of an official Handbook (for years),
though that seems to be a symptom of something wrong.
There are so many features that seem to me odd,
eg I use an OpenLDAP server to keep my contacts
(because I want to share them over several laptops,
and haven't found any other way to do this),
but I can't see the contacts in KAddressBook,
though if I type a bit of a name in KMail
the contact email comes up.

And I can't make head or tail of the setup
for a small personal distribution list.

I know that you (Anne) have created an unofficial Help file,
which I have found very helpful.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net