f14 x86_64 konqueror 'the process for the file protocol died unexpectedly'

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Nov 14 16:46:02 UTC 2011

On 13/11/11 22:50, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 13 November 2011 17:39:04 John Pilkington wrote:
>> Yesterday, after a week away, I updated this system.  It had been
>> up-to-date before I went away. New kernel, and I thought some kde stuff.
>> Since then several attempts to refresh konq file-management tabs have
>> given a blank window, sometimes with this message in the border.
>> Everything works as usual after a konq restart, until this happens again.
>
> Yes, I have seen it also.
>
> There has been a recent batch of KDE4-related updates, which apparently tend
> to break the running KDE session. Log out of KDE and log back in, and
> everything will get fixed automagically... ;-)

I'm afraid this isn't my experience.  As I said above, I can restart
konqueror and everything looks ok again... until it isn't.  I've
rebooted, too, both after the new kernel installation yesterday and
again today after updates to firefox, thunderbird,
kde-plasma-networkmanagement and a few others.  Haven't yet tried just
restarting kde;  I'm not optimistic about it but I'll give it a try when
the system isn't busy.

>> Two of the tabs were showing large folders, 100 GB (ext3) and 500 GB
>> (ext4), both nearly full with video files.  I've since deleted quite a
>> few to provide more headroom.  Anyone else affected?  I've never seen it
>> before.

I put this here in case the problem was related to lack of free space in
the partitions being used; I haven't often worked with them quite so full.

> I am not sure what you are describing here, but it might be related and also
> go away once you have restarted KDE.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Thanks for the response.  A little auto-magic here might help :-)

John P