Downgrading kmail

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 15:53:15 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 16 Nov 2011 10:36:39 Claude Jones wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 9:55 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >> Sad, very sad:-(
> >
> > FWIW, I guess the problems appear only for you folks that use IMAP
> > access for e-mail, right? I've been using F16 with KMail2 for several
> > days now, and it Just Works --- mail migration, filters, accounts, you
> > name it... But I use the old-fashioned POP3, and AFAIK KMail never had
> > problems with that.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents...;-)
>
> nope, I'm just a POP user - migration was an unmitigated disaster for
> me, half the mail got moved, half stayed behind, messages disappeared,
> many messages are no longer readable even if they appear in the message
> list, and on and on - the delete duplicate mail command from the menu
> doesn't work either -

Disaster for me also over the many many months of trying... however...

The only way I have been able to use Kmail2 which I have been for a fair few
days now on F15 was to move my old mail DIR out of the way, and manually
import the messages then move the imported folders to the correct place. Then
set up the filters again once kmail2 is running.

I'll see how it goes, there are a fair few niggling bugs and the ones I have
seen have been reported to kde.bugs, some being back ported to 4.7.x also, IE
the nasty crash when closing Kmail2.

As a safe guard I also leave my mail on the POP3 server for a few days and
check there also with web mail but so far all is well, no lost messages.

I have since updated to F16 with no new problems, but then of course the
version of Kmail is the same.

Colin
--
Fedora release 16 (Verne)