Downgrading kmail

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Nov 20 15:39:39 UTC 2011

Am 19.11.2011 10:42, schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Saturday 19 November 2011 04:57:58 Anne Wilson wrote:
[...]
>> you're misunderstanding - this was my second migration, the one I was
>> complaining about a few posts back in this thread - the only messages
>> that came across were the ones that were unread in my original folders,
>> a few hundred messages at most - I lost over 20 thousand - KMail has
>> lost its lustre for me at this point - with all these bugs, and the
>> sluggishness, it's a shadow of its former self - hopefully, they'll get
>> it all straightened out eventually - Thunderbird has its own share of
>> problems these days, too
>
> The problem is that KMail has some features that I rely on, and TBird doesn't
> have them.  In particular I miss the ability to associate an identity with a
> folder (essential for mailing list handling:  I got many moderation messages
> when using TBird) and the much better handling of expiry of messages.

Just throw in my experiences here: I was used to kmail for several years
but as this does not work on windows I slowly switched to thunderbird.
The last month I almost completely switched to thunderbird on Linux as
well. Kmail is a little bit faster and has some mail functions (like
sieve configuration) and is little better on shortcut but calendar and
address book integration is better

For folder based Identity I installed a plugin called folder_account
which implements the missing feature.

Currently I only miss the possibility to set account specific language.

As I rely on a plugin for my PIM Server (SOGo) I have to use Thunderbird
revision 3 and it is really sad that fedora switched to the new fast
switching mozilla strategy (which is a wrong decision in my humble
opinion). So I have to patch and recompile fedora 14 version of
Thunderbird 3 by myself. Sogo will switch to the new thunderbird stuff
with the long term versions end of january.

I tried the official thunderbird version but I had several problems in
opening attachments (I have to select programs first instead of
thunderbird looking up the configured programs). For me this is not a
major problem (it is annoying) but for others in my family it is hard to
know that the program for opening MS-word files is called oowriter (or
what ever) and located in /usr/bin.

regards

Martin