Downgrading kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 20 16:07:18 UTC 2011

On Sunday 20 November 2011 15:39:39 Anne Wilson wrote:

> Just throw in my experiences here: I was used to kmail for several years
> but as this does not work on windows I slowly switched to thunderbird.
> The last month I almost completely switched to thunderbird on Linux as
> well. Kmail is a little bit faster and has some mail functions (like
> sieve configuration) and is little better on shortcut but calendar and
> address book integration is better

Yes, the integration in Kontact does make life easier :-)

> For folder based Identity I installed a plugin called folder_account
> which implements the missing feature.

A friend pointed that out to me today - it sounds good.  I'll take a look at
it.

> Currently I only miss the possibility to set account specific language.
>
> As I rely on a plugin for my PIM Server (SOGo) I have to use Thunderbird
> revision 3 and it is really sad that fedora switched to the new fast
> switching mozilla strategy (which is a wrong decision in my humble
> opinion). So I have to patch and recompile fedora 14 version of
> Thunderbird 3 by myself. Sogo will switch to the new thunderbird stuff
> with the long term versions end of january.

I reinstalled Thunderbird, but this version (8.0.2) seems to have problems
with OpenPGP.  I have encrypted mail that I can't read in it.

> I tried the official thunderbird version but I had several problems in
> opening attachments (I have to select programs first instead of
> thunderbird looking up the configured programs). For me this is not a
> major problem (it is annoying) but for others in my family it is hard to
> know that the program for opening MS-word files is called oowriter (or
> what ever) and located in /usr/bin.

Well, I guess we keep our options open.  Everything feels such a struggle
these days.