kde-freezes while large USB copy

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Nov 24 23:40:00 UTC 2011

Am 24.11.2011 23:55, schrieb José Matos:
> On 11/19/2011 03:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> am i the only one who has the problem that while i copy
>> large files (vmware-images) on an external USB disk that
>> kde most of the time stucks for some seconds?
>>
>> switch to a terminal with CTRL+ALT+F2 works fine without
>> any delays, switching back to GUI also but it does not get
>> refreshed - only the mouspointer is available
>>
>> really frustrating on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
>> with 16 GB RAM because on this hardware freezes are unexpected
>>
>> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ smbios-sys-info
>> Libsmbios version:      2.2.28
>> Product Name:           HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC
>> Vendor:                 Hewlett-Packard
>> BIOS Version:           J01 v02.14
>>
> Could it be the problem described in the link below?
>

> Huge pages, slow drives, and long delays
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/467328/
>
> I saw this last week but I have been slowly cleaning my my mail backlog.

yes, sounds exactly like what i am seeing
not that i use usb-drives often, but if i do it is frustrating

btw: for me it seems that mount the usb-drive with "commit=1"
make the behavior much smoother, on the other hand i would
not expect such freezes on modern top-hardware thinking back
where hughe clusters did not have such performance than now