KDE virtual desktop use being depreciated?

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at uit.no
Mon Nov 28 08:25:21 UTC 2011

On Monday, November 28, 2011 16:13:39 Ed Greshko wrote:
> I'm just wondering if the concept of using "virtual desktops" is being
> phased out in KDE.
>
> The reason I ask/wonder is that with F16 when one brings up KDE the
> "pager" widget is not visible on the default panel.  A little poking
> around reveals you have to increase the number of "virtual desktops" to
> be more than the default of 1 in "system settings", "workspace behavior".
>
> So, under the  current default configuration a person new to KDE may not
> have a clue that an option exists for "virtual desktops".
>
> It even took me a bit of time to realize what was happening.  In F15 the
> default number of "virtual desktops" was set to 4.

Yes, I'm wondering about the same thing.  My new and shiny KDE 4.7 has a red-
blue-green button on the toolbar that brings me into something called
"Activities".  Can someone explain to an old geezer what "Activities" are good
for?  The kde.org website contain a fair bit of explanation on how to set  up
activities but I couldn't find anything about the rationale behind the concept.
What do activities bring to the table that virtual desktops don't?  Or am I
missing the point completely?

--
r.