Is there a way to force a start up application to a specific activity when I log in?

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:13:19 UTC 2011

I have the impression I should be using activities instead of desktops.

I assume, if I am already in an activity, all windows created will
be launched in that activity, so manually starting applications
is not the issue.

My problem is for applications that are launched automatically,
at start up when I log in.

I've been forcing specific applications to specific desktops because
I know how to do this.

For example,

I can click the upper left window icon, I can go to advanced,
and select Special Window Settings... or Special Application Settings...
and select the Geometry tab and specify which desktop the
application and/or window should start in.

Names I have for Desktops are like, Home, Admin, Work, Play, ....

I want to read email in "Admin" because, usually,
email is administrative stuff for me.

I want to start pidgin in Home because chat is not really admin,
nor is it work or play.

Is there a way to force these applications to start in the desired
activities if I switch from using Desktops to Activities,
and name my Activities, Home, Admin, Work, Play?

I wish the Geometry tab had an Activity line like it has
a desktop line.

I realize I should try to read the documentation, on activities, again.
I tried to read docs a while ago, think about a year ago, and got confused.

If people don't mind, I'd like to add an orthogonal question about activities.
When I wish to switch Desktops, I can do ctrl-F1, ctrl-F2, etc.
Is there a similar way to select Activities?
I can always use the ALT-D,ALT-A to bring up the Activities window,
but I am a keyboard person more than a mouse person.