Kmail2 quite usable.

Lukas Middendorf lukas+fedora at tuxforce.de
Wed Nov 30 11:28:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I started with a clean config, so I can't say much about migration. But it
still is far from flawless.

Creating new imap accounts with identities is really a pain. The account
wizard should be in the settings, not in "Tools". I created three imap
accounts with corresponding Identities by hand before I found it. And even
with the account wizzard, you have to set the folders for "sent", "drafts" and
"trash" manually.

At the beginning I got errors about the "Local Folders". They only stopped
after I removed the Akonadi ressource and restarted everything. The ressource
was added again automatically, but the one test message I put in there was
lost in the process. I hope the same thing does not also happen during a
migration with real mail in the folders.

Now to the things that still don't work properly:

* I can't get Kmail2 to check for new mails on start, although I have selected
it in the options. I still have to wait for the regular check intervall to
pass.

* Sometimes mails I have read on an imap account become unread again (or even
undeleted) after the next mail check. I have to manually mark the mail as read
again afterwards.

* Sometimes I can not read mails for an account and I get a message like "can
not fetch mail in offline mode". I don't know why it thiks I'm offline, but it
works again after selecting "Work Offline" and "Work Online" in "File".

* "Allow this time" for kdewallet is no longer feasible. kmail1 asked one time
on start, with kmail2 I now get one dialog per account.

I think I'll give reverting to kmail1 (using my old kmail1 config) a try.

Regards,

Lukas