Fedora 16 - Quite a lot of KDE stuff crashing

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:31:39 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 11:16 AM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> I had the same problem.
>
> Try to see if you can configure System Settings>  Multimedia>  Phonon.

Really? This can be fixed by changing the phonon backend?

> If you can prioritize the gstreamer backend instead of the vlc backend, I'll
> bet the crashes will disappear. If it crashes then you will need to edit the
> file:
>
> /home/eli/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc

The 'phonon' entry in 'Multimedia' crashed. I then created this file as
it wasn't there already.

> It should look something like
>
> [PhononBackend]
> Entry0_Preference=3
> Entry0_Service=phononbackends/gstreamer.desktop
> Entry1_Preference=2
> Entry1_Service=phononbackends/vlc.desktop
> Entry2_Preference=1
> Entry2_Service=phononbackends/xine.desktop
> NumberOfEntries=3

I copied the above text and pasted in the file. Did a reboot and nothing
seems to have changed. Everything that crashed before still does!

regards,

Syam