Fedora 16 - Quite a lot of KDE stuff crashing

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:50:23 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 30 November 2011 18:11:49 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christian González wrote:
> > At least here (KDE 4.7, Fedora 16 i386) this is the only way to run
> > Chrome, systemsettings and other apps. I know this is far from perfect,
> > though.
> >
> > Hope the nVidia driver update solves the issue.
>
> Try Nouveau. It should just work these days.

That would depend on the particular hardware one uses. Nouveau support is not
equally good across all generations of cards. See

  http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

for a rough overview of what is/is not supported.

While I try out Nouveau first whenever I get to a piece of nVidia graphics
hardware, I often end up using the proprietary driver for stable/production
usage. I admire the achievement of Nouveau in terms of RE, but it is still not
there yet, and needs more time for development, IMHO.

Best, :-)
Marko