KDE + X + Nvidia problems

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 08:35:57 UTC 2011

On 06/10/11 22:32, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having some issues with KDE + X + Nvidia right now, not sure which
> one is the cause, but I am wondering if anyone here has seen the same
> thing or if there's any workaround.
>
> So I got tired of it, and just yesterday tried proprietary Nvidia driver
> from RPMFusion (basically following the how-to there). With this driver,
> I haven't had any lock-up yet, but KDE apps are behaving poorly:
>
> 1. Kile with simple latex file would be so sluggish, X uses > 90% of CPU
> on "top", with "kile" as the next process on the list.
>
> 2. Kate basically has similar behavior
>
> 3. kwrite has similar behaviour
>
> 4. Kmail / Kontact has similar behavior (esp. with composer window), but
> much less severe (CPU usage for X is hovering around 40 - 50%).
>

> So... what's happening here ? Anyone has seen this ? I'm baffled.

Yes, we saw this behaviour a while back with a similar setup, F14, +
proprietary nvidia drivers.

One thing that seemed to work around the problems was to change the qt
backend with something like:

kate --graphicssystem=raster

or
export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster

before stating kate.

There is some discussion of this at:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=90821

It was only some of my users that reported this problem and we don't
seem to have it any more, but it might be worth looking at.

Roderick