Sudo and limited rights

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:35:34 UTC 2011

On Monday 31 Oct 2011 15:46:21 Thomas Moschny wrote:
> 2011/10/31 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > [root at borg2 ~]# > tail /var/log/dmesg
> > -bash: /var/log/dmesg: Permission denied
>
> Well, if you really typed what you quoted here, that's not surprising:
> You tried to _execute_ /var/log/dmesg and redirect the output to a
> "tail" file in the current working directory. Could you try again
> without the ">", please?

Argh!! The perils of pasting then using history.  Actually that's why I always
include the command when asked to give an output - it allows the reader to
catch the thing that I've been looking past and not seeing.

You are quite right, it does work now.  Thanks for spotting it.  Meanwhile
I've learned how to set and get ACL permissions.  Thanks to all who tried to
help and apologies for any wasted time.

New to KDE Software?  Got some good hints and tips? - Welcome to
http://userbase.kde.org