Konsole: You need to be root to perform this command

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Wed Sep 28 17:42:09 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 08:29 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Since I installed F15 (keeping my F15 /home) I have been seeing a
> several-second hang in Konsole, then this message.  I thought that
> perhaps it was seeing my keychain configuration, and trying to get
> keychain started, but I didn't install keychain at first.  Keychain is
> now installed and I expected all to be well.  Unfortunately it isn't.
>
> Now, when I start Konsole, my shell hangs without displaying a prompt.
>   If I ^C I then see the message as above.  So far I haven't identified
> any error messages obviously related to this.  I could use some help
> in knowing what to look for and where.
>
> The only thing I can see that I don't understand is
>
> Sep 28 16:22:45 tosh rpc.idmapd[1143]: nss_getpwnam: name
> 'anne at lydgate.lan' does not map into domain 'localdomain'
>
> I think this is unrelated, though I'd like to know what is causing that.
>
> Anne

I had (have?) a similar problem that turned out to be a kwallet issue.  Took me a while to figure out why many apps, including VNC objects that needed kwallet to provide the ssh tunnel pass phrase, wouldn't start.

I had to stop kwallet and restart it, then all was fine.  I also had to do that after a reboot.  I suppose it will do the same thing the next time I reboot.

Emmett