KAddressBook on a server?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sun Apr 1 22:46:35 UTC 2012

Martin (KDE) wrote:

>> I see there have been some advances in KAddressBook,
>> eg it can now use my Google contacts.
>>
>> But I'm wondering if it is possible to keep KAdddressBook contacts
>> on my server, so that they are available anywhere on my LAN?
>
> Yes, it can (at least the old non akonadi version could). There are
> several possibilities:
> - Use vCard folder for this
> - Use a real groupware server
> - Use addressbook in a mail folder (like kolab)

Thanks very much for your response.

1. I know what vCard is, but I don't know what a vCard folder is.
Is this a KMail folder?

2. I think a groupware server would probably be slightly over the top
for my purposes.

3. I like the sound of kolab, but was slightly surprised that
there doesn't seem to be a Fedora RPM, since as far as I can see
it is a KDE program.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net