KAddressBook on a server?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Apr 2 06:04:03 UTC 2012

Am 02.04.2012 00:46, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Martin (KDE) wrote:
>
>>> I see there have been some advances in KAddressBook,
>>> eg it can now use my Google contacts.
>>>
>>> But I'm wondering if it is possible to keep KAdddressBook contacts
>>> on my server, so that they are available anywhere on my LAN?
>>
>> Yes, it can (at least the old non akonadi version could). There are
>> several possibilities:
>> - Use vCard folder for this
>> - Use a real groupware server
>> - Use addressbook in a mail folder (like kolab)
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
>
> 1. I know what vCard is, but I don't know what a vCard folder is.
> Is this a KMail folder?

You can store many different contacts in one vCard or use a single vCard
for each contact in one folder (that's why I called it vCard folder).
There is a small risk because in theory two different clients can try to
change the same file. But this is less problematic than one single vCard
file. You can use this folder on a network share.

> 2. I think a groupware server would probably be slightly over the top
> for my purposes.

Not really. If you want to sync your contact/mail/calendar with
different clients it is the only option. And in those cases you don't
have your hardware around you can use the web to check your stuff.

> 3. I like the sound of kolab, but was slightly surprised that
> there doesn't seem to be a Fedora RPM, since as far as I can see
> it is a KDE program.

You don't have to run a kolab server if you only use kdepim programs and
don't need the admin stuff. You need an imap server (like cyrus or
dovecot). The configuration was done through kmail (in the old kmail1
days - I don't know how it is done with kmail2). Organizer and address
book used kmail as their backend. With kmail2 this is likely replaced by
an akonadi plugin.

I once tried kolab server but was never satisfied with the approach they
used. That's why I use sogo since about two years.

regards
Martin