KAddressBook on a server?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Tue Apr 3 09:48:43 UTC 2012

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> As for the "Kolab client", it's basically the same thing as Kontact, which
> we already ship in kdepim. (And yes, the latest Kolab client is also the
> Akonadi-based Kontact, though they do have a branch based on the old pre-
> Akonadi Kontact and even a KDE 3 branch too, which are maintained to some
> extent, for their enterprise customers.)

OK, thanks.
I'll look again at Kontact, and see if it is possible
(in a relatively easy way) to use with contacts on a remote server.

This seems to me such an obvious need that I am surprised
it does not get top priority in Fedora/KDE.
I think I can say that if it is possible to do this in Fedora/KDE
then it is certainly not obvious, or well-documented if documented at all.

Currently I use an ugly mixture of openLDAP and Google contacts
to make contacts available on my home network (including smart phones).
But one of the problems with this is that there seems to be no direct way
of adding contacts from within KMail or KAddressBook.

Bizarrely, I can access my openLDAP contacts in KMail,
but don't seem able to in Kontact or KAddressBook.
(The Search facility in both the latter is extraordinarily bad.)

Maybe something like phpMyAdmin or phpLDAPadmin to access and edit contacts
on a server would be nice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net